Tuesday, February 8, 2011

9 days

Oh dear...we are into single digits now and that makes me very sad.

My favorite time of the day is right before bedtime. Since we brought Carson home from the hospital, it has always been the two of us getting ready for night, night. (One of the perks of nursing.) I love that I get to be one of the last things he sees before he falls asleep. That my whisper of I love you is what he hears as he drifts off to sleep. I love that I can rest easy as I hand him over to his Father each night for protection and peaceful dreams.

Bedtime is the hardest part of the days when I am out of town. It just doesn't feel right not being the one to put him to bed, although he is always in very capable hands with Daddy. With the exception of one night, it has been one of the two of us kissing him goodnight. I know for some that seems ridiculous but we have waited a very long time for that little boy and just feel like he should be home at night. (Although, I know that soon enough he will be begging to spend the night with the grandparents or cousins or friends.)

Tonight, as we settled on the couch to start quieting down and nurse before bedtime, I was reminded of just how lucky we are to have him. He played so hard today that he didn't even make long enough to nurse. I looked down and he was passed out, sitting up beside me. Bless him.

Father, thank you for each evening that You let us share with him. I was reminded today that there are some sweet friends that would give anything to kiss their baby boy goodnight, just one more time.

No comments: