Thursday, February 3, 2011

14 days

2010 was by far one of the craziest years me and my family have ever had. Feb. 16th started it all with the birth of my little miracle, my first born, my SON. Rooster and I had never known so much joy. (I do believe that my husband even used the word "smitten", of which I didn't even know he knew what it meant.)

9 short days after his birth, we both relied heavily on him to bring us joy through our mourning. I remember sitting in the emergency room that Friday night having to "decide" between standing by my man during the hardest 48 hours of his life or caring for my precious 9 day old son. The Bible tells us that we are to love the Lord before all else, then our spouse and then our children. Ever fiber in my being wanted to be in that hospital room, holding on to my man as he was losing his best friend but he knew I had to be there for Carson. Carson became the thread that held us together. He was able to give Rooster a "break" from the sadness just for a minute. We were able to rejoice in the fact that Grandaddy got his wish - a great grandson to carry on the White name. We were able to find joy in the fact that he got to meet Carson and hold him. (I even have a few seconds of video of the two of them.) Carson brought us joy in our sorrow.

May brought the floods - Goggie and Grandaddy being rescued via boat, Mom and Dad coming to hang out for fear of water in their house, Rooster being at work for 2 days, our sewer problems, etc, etc. Yet - we had an awesome distraction from it all.....Carson.

July - the Woodards basically lose everything to their house fire, just days before Sis and I were to head to Dallas for 3 days. (They are just now truly settled back in to their house.)

July - it's Carson's turn to comfort Mama in her time of mourning as I watch my Grandma pass over to the better side. She was "gone" long before her body finally left us but it was so hard, especially since we had already lost Grandaddy so long ago. (I drove by her house yesterday and it was so hard to imagine someone else living in that house.)

August - dear friends lose their 9 month old baby boy suddenly. This is something that none of us will ever fully get over. We have all learned to savor each moment and squeeze our babies a little bit longer. My favorite memory of this: kicking the devil in the teeth but not becoming over come by a spirit of fear for my child. Take that devil!!!

I truly believe that the Lord knew the craziness that was to be 2010 therefore He gave us someone to help keep us grounded and focused. He gave us a gentle reminder of His awesomeness and faithfulness. He gave us someone to bring a smile even when the tears of heartache were flowing. He gave us someone to help bring the two of us closer than ever and remind us how much we love each other. He gave us our dream and I have savored every day of this year because of him, even the bad ones.

Here's to a much calmer 2011.

No comments: