Monday, December 1, 2008

Thankfulness

As I was doing some quiet time the other night, I decided to journal about what I was truly thankful for this year. Oh, there are always the usuals: husband, family friends, home, etc. But then I decided I wanted to think outside the box and be a bit more specific with the Lord.

This year, more and more people have been hit hard by the economy and it's craziness. I think somehow it caught a lot of American's off guard and unprepared to deal with a financial situation. Over the last few weeks, I have been overwhelmed by God's goodness in my life. Rooster and I have talked numerous times about how blessed we are in this time of struggle for so many. God has literally put a shield of protection over our finances in several visible ways. 1) We have an amazing family that has provided a place for us to live for the past 4 1/2 years. 2) He has provided us both with jobs that will withstand this crazy economy. You are always going to need electricity and unfortunately, there will always be sick people. 3) He has given us both extreme wisdom and discernment when it comes to how we spend our money; acutally it's pretty simple: if you can't pay for it.....DON'T BUY IT!!!! (Yes, AMEN is right.)

Financial protection was definitely not the only thing on my list. I was also very excited to thank God for the best year of our marriage. We have had more fun this year than any other year I can remember. Oh sure, there was the cruise back in the summer with a bunch of our friends and the trip to Chattanooga for my birthday but those aren't what I'm talking about. We've just had a blast being together. We truly act like two kids when we are home alone, and sometimes when we aren't alone..just ask our close friends. I am not so niave as to think that it will always be like this. Remember, we've been married for 4 1/2 years and I said this was the best so far. We've had our share of less than fun times but thanks to a commitment to God and each other, we always come out on top.

When I think about what I am truly thankful right this very moment, the first thing that comes to mind is how God is revealing Himself to me in all sorts of new ways. Isn't that fun to think that you can continue to learn so much more about a friend you've had for over half of your life?? Like I said earlier, this has been the best year of our marriage but it has come with some heartbreak too. For those of you that don't know, we've been trying to get pregnant for almost a year and a half now with no success. It has just been recently though that I literally had a come to Jesus meeting with Jesus himself. He basically showed me that He had to be enough and that He has given us the desire in my heart which means He will provide. Oh, I knew this but to really hear it from Him and then have this peace that I could not explain....yeah I think I got it this time. (Granted, I know there are more tears to be shed and more longing from my heart, but I can really say for the first time that I am at peace.) THANK YOU JESUS!!!!

Yup, it's been a good year and I am thankful.

2 comments:

Courtney said...

hi sweet friend,

i found your blog thru tlc's.

we had fun at your house last weekend. it was wonderful of you to open your home. i know it is a ton of work:)

as i read about your desire to start a family and the waiting and waiting that it has brought and the peace that only Jesus can bring you... i was touched. please know you are in my prayers. Jesus has all the answers, He just doesn't always give them to us when we want. You will be a wonderful mommy some day!

love, courtney

Kaycie said...

Sister, I didn't respond the frist time I read this because I just didn't know what to say. Today, I am trying to be at peace with you, but my heart breaks because I know how much you long for that fulfillment in your life. I know that God will provide the perfect answer(s)at the perfect time and I know that some little person(people) will be more than blessed to have your opened arms waiting for them. Until that day, I'll let you borrow any number of mine (that might help you rethink things) and I'll be turmoil for you! Ok?