I was sitting at a red light during my lunch break today and pondering all the things I needed to get done this weekend. I looked to my right and noticed a man standing on the sidewalk with a sign that read, "LAID OFF - FAMILY OF 3 - GOD BLESS". Normally I wouldn't give it another thought and just move on thinking there wasn't anything I could do. I looked at him again and noticed that he appeared to be younger than me and looked very "embarrassed" to be standing there; not making eye contact with any car passing by. I thought, "Lord, I would like to help this person but You know that I am not going to give him cash." Then I thought, if only I had a Kroger gift card - that would be good. He could feed his family with that. I prayed that the Lord will soften the hearts of others towards the man and was getting ready to drive on. Then the Spirit reminded me that last night I stuck no less than 8 restaurant gift certificates in my wallet that we had received over Christmas. I dug in my wallet, grabbed the first one that I got and hollered out my window. He came running over and said God Bless before he even took it from me. I said, you and your family enjoy your dinner. I looked at the card funny and then ran back to the sidewalk. It might not have been what he wanted or expected but it was food for an empty belly and I pray it might be food for a thirsty soul.
As I pulled away, I was nervous and anxious about the whole 30 second transaction. I am the one that always believes that the "money" will not go towards good things, etc. I second guessed my actions for one brief second until He reminded me that He was the one who was in charge. That He was the one who helped me remember the gift certificates in my wallet. That He was the one who gave me the courage to make the cars behind me wait at the red light (yikes). Personally, I believe that I just kicked the devil in the teeth and IT FELT GREAT!!!
Lord - help me to ever so sensitive to your gentle prodding even when it feels uncomfortable for me. Help me to live out a more radical life for You in 2011.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Speaking as someone whos hubby has been laid off twice in the last year...I cant imagine being at a place so desparate. I am sure that man is more greatful than you will ever know. Thanful you were there to help.
Post a Comment