Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Spring Surprise

To say that God gifted me with a "Green Thumb" would be an outright lie!!! In truth, and as my sweet husband so often reminds me, indeed it is a Black Thumb that He gave me. Oh I have dreams of beautiful flowers, ornate gardens, hydrangeas, etc however the reality is often grim. I can say that the only plant that has ever survived under my care for longer than a short season is one that Mom bought me to hang in my kitchen when we moved in here in the 'ville. (It has weathered many storms but it is still alive a kickin' almost 5 years later. Although I will admit it has needed some serious TLC quite a few times.)

So every year I head off to the local flower mart to get me some flowers, mostly because I love flowers. It just makes me smile to pull up to my house (which lets all admit ain't so much to look at on the outside) and see splashes of color popping up all over the place. A bonus to my love of flowers, is Rooster's absolute hatred towards flowers. You can ask his Mom. The only thing he likes about flowers is when he finally gets the okay, at the end of the season, to weed eat them down. He's such a hater!!! Anywho, I meandered off subject....

So I go and spend way too much time and money trying to figure out what the heck might survive for the summer. I'm definitely challenged because I know nothing about growing things or planting flowers. (Let me insert here that if he would get over his hatred, my husband could make me a beautiful flower garden because he can grow anything.) So I just either guess or finally find someone to find pity on me and help me out.

Well last year I decided I was going to put all the same flowers in the bed under my kitchen window. I wanted something with lots of color but would be one "big" sea of it. So I came up with a flower (don't ask me what it's called because I have no idea) that had lots of pinks, purple and whites and I went for it. I got them all in there and watered the heck out of them (because I think that's what ALL plants want) and sure enough, they survived all summer. YEAH!!!!

Little did I know that the Lord had a surprise for me this year. I got home from work one day and this is what I found

Apparently I decided to buy perennials instead of annuals. WHO KNEW???? Obviously not me. I had already decided that this year I was going to revert back to my original plan and plant a bunch of different flowers here. But not now, why mess with something that actually lived to see another year. THANK YOU JESUS!!!

1 comment:

Moms Life Group said...

very pretty!! i love flowers, too, and am always trying to find something that will survive the heat and our all-day-sun here (we get hardly any shade anywhere at our house). good job - maybe your thumb is "light green" now!