Tuesday, October 7, 2008

The Race Was On

I thought it only fitting that this post be written in PINK. I mentioned a while ago that I had taken up "running" and I had signed up for the Race for the Cure 5k. The race was this past Saturday and I survived. Honestly, I did better than I expected and ended up finished in a little over 35 minutes. As great as that sounds to me...I must admit that my 8 year old nephew kicked my rear end!!! At the start of the race he was right with me because we didn't want him running by himself. He's only eight and he's a small guy so he was hard to keep up with. Well, I managed to do just that until about 1.5 miles through and then he got tired of waiting on me. Next thing I knew, he was gone and no where to be found. I couldn't help but understand how a mother who has momentarily lost their child would feel. I was panicked at first. Wishing my legs to go forward faster but knowing there was no way I would ever catch him. My only comfort was that I knew Mom and Dad has positioned themselves a little over half way through the race so I just kept asking the Lord to let them see him. When I finally saw them I yelled to see if they had seen him. They literally laughed at me and told me he was probably 5 minutes in front of me, JOGGING!!! What a stinker. He finished the race in 28 minutes. Here I thought I would have to be carrying towards the finish. Maybe he should've carried me.

All in all, I actually enjoyed doing it. Most importantly, I raised over $600.00 for the Susan G Komen Foundation. Thank you so much to all of you who donated to this worthy cause. Here are some pics from the race.


Team TLC
Teresa, Russ, Derek, Chris, Alison, Deb, Jenny
Hayley & Anna
Me and the boys
Hayley, Jen, Deb, Ali, and Teresa
The one who left me
Teresa and I with the end in sight!!

1 comment:

Emilee Caralee said...

Way to go Jenny! I wish I had been in town so I could have been with y'all.