Thursday, September 18, 2008

A Rarity

As I mentioned in my previous blog, last weekend was my sister's anniversary. (And yes, I meant to say just her because in the Loftin house, it is always the wife's anniversary.) Well, Chris' sister and I signed up to keep the boys all weekend. (This is no small feat considering how many there are of them. Especially considering neither one of us have children of our own or are used to being "the parent".)

As it turns out, I only had Russ and Caleb. Derek, the way too cool 14 year old, decided it would be much more fun to spend the night with a new friend then hang out with Ninny & Unc. WHATEVER!!! Of course that meant that I had to do the "drop off". I was a little nervous about leaving him but felt better once I found out the friend's dad was a preacher and his step-mom used to go to our church. I mean, I imagine it's bad enough to drop of your own child, but dropping off someone else's child is a whole other ball of wax.

After dropping D off, we headed home but not before the ever important second trip to McDonald's (aka: Barf Burgers @ our house thanks to Daddy). Knowing that we had just driven through the drive through, Russ insisted that we go inside or find a wig for me. "It would be way to embarrassing for them to see us again." What a dork!!!!

If you've been to my house you will know that it is not very kid friendly. No fun games, no video games, no swingset, no balls, bats, or any other thing that a normal little would like. But then again.....there is Michael Waddell. OH YEAH!!! It was so much fun to sit there at watch these two, supposedly non-hunters, lovin' them some Realtree Roadtrips. They were the best commentators around. And then Unc would start making animal noises behind his magazine and poor Caleb would be all confused at first. Especially since Russy would be telling him that it was one of the dead ones on the wall. (I just knew he was going to have nightmares thinking Rooster's deers were talking to him.)

At one point, all 4 of us were smushed on half of the couch. Russ on the edge, Caleb in my lap, and Rooster and I beside each other. I could think of nothing greater in the world than having a family like this of mine one day. Sitting around together, laughing and joking and sharing each other's passions. Yup, I could definitely go for some of that.

Saturday morning we were up at the crack of dawn, thanks to Caleb. And then a for real rarity happened at my house........BREAKFAST!!!! Yup and the kitchen didn't even collapse. After a rather uneventful house auction that we made the boys suffer through, it was off to the farm to rider four wheelers. Russy got to be the big brother and be the one to drive and he loved it!!!


Russ-Guss trying to be brave and wave & drive @ the same time.


Caleb helping with the eggs. (They were only a little bit cruchy from the shells but it was worth it because he loved helping.)

Chowing down on some bacon & eggs. Daddy would be proud of me since this was our staple Saturday morning breakfast growing up.

All in all, I think we had a pretty great time. I love those boys. Thanks Sis & Chris for letting us keep them. (But don't think about making it a habit because I was exhausted after they left.)

1 comment:

Kaycie said...

Don't worry, you made your point...mr cool 14-year-old was so jealous when the little boys told him about riding four-wheelers and "the ranger". They had the best time...and so did we. Thanks for taking care of everything.