You see this handsome fellow below?
Well, that would be my #1 nephew. I hardly remember life without him around. I used to be his "Aunt Jenny Bubba" because I called him Bubba forever. It was only okay because he was so stinking cute.
As you can see, he has grown up a bit since those days. I am in complete denial over the fact that he is entering into his SENIOR year of high school and will be 18 years old in a mere 9 days. What, might you ask, am I totally "Blown Away" by? Derek and the man he is becoming.
To our family, he has always been the jokester and the ham; keeping us laughing always. He has always had multiple personalities (some far more pleasant than others). Last winter, God finally opened the door for all of that personality to shine brightly.
With more courage than I would have been able to muster, he tried out for his high school drama play "Bye Bye Birdie" and joined the Show Choir. (Let me tell you, this aunt found it hysterical and could not wrap my mind around the fact that my very athletic 'D' was going to be singing and dancing on stage.) Even crazier, he landed the role of Conrad Birdie in the play and blew everyone away with his performance.
Let me tell you, he has found his niche!!! I am so unbelievably proud of him for stepping out of all that he knew was comfortable and going for it. He has definitely been an inspiration to me.
Last week, he left Nashville and headed to KANSAS to attend Butler University's Butler Showchoir Showcase, with only 3 people that he knew. That in itself blows my mind but then you add to it that he scored not 1 but 2 solos for the men's acapella choir and I am bursting with pride for him.
Here is the video from one of his solo performances. He sings at 2 different times during the song. (He is the 3rd small solo and then the 1st to step out front and sing.)
D - I couldn't be anymore proud of you then I am and I pray that you will take this gift that God has given you and shine for Him!!! Can't wait to watch you on stage many more times. Heck, I will even fly to Kansas to come see you next time. I love you Buddy!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment