Thursday, October 14, 2010

The Great Commission

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." Matthew 28:16-20

I went on my first mission trip when I was 24 years old. We went to Santiago, Chile for 10 days. Then, 4 years later, I went to Glasgow, Scotland. I know that God has called me to go again, I'm just now sure when or where. He will show me, just like He has before. These short term mission trips are life changing and wonderful but they are "safe". Safe because you buy a round-trip ticket and you only pack enough clothes to get you through. Safe because you know that you will see your friends and family in just a few days. Safe because it doesn't really "interrupt" your life (except your soul) for all too long.

I have a friend, actually two friends, who have decided that safe just won't cut it. They apparently don't understand the words "short term". Next Friday, they will board a plan to South Africa but they only bought one way tickets. Not only did they purchase two, one-way tickets, they bought 6 one-way tickets. Two for them and four for their children. They read the Great Commission, they stand firm on God's Word and they listened to His call. They are now a missionary family.

Honestly, I am probably a little closer to Joey because we worked together for 2 years. We have had many in depth conversations about almost everything but mainly about God and family. I have heard him pour out his love for Christ and his family to almost the point of tears. It is amazing to see a man live it out that honestly and open.

More amazing to me is the quiet, humble woman standing beside him, honoring Him and him in all she does. A mom who is constantly on the go, chasing her kiddos. A mom who waited as patiently as possible for her baby girl from Ethiopia when her arms were aching with the need to hold her. (I can relate to that one.) A mom who said YES to her God when He said GO and take your children with you.

Court - for almost 3 years I have watched you from the sidelines. I have seen how you stand by your man and honor your God. I have watched the fun that you seem to always have with the kids and the laid back approach to life that you seem to have. I have caught myself saying, "I hope my kids and I can do that one day." I have grabbed my camera more than I probably would've to capture those crazy moments in our lives. I have been challenged to strengthen my relationship with my Creator. I have celebrated over the baptisms of your two oldest children and dreamed of the day when I can see Carson do the same. I have prayed for your babies and petitioned God on your behalf for sweet Bristol. (Carson and I literally sang praises to God when we heard she was yours.) I have listened to your man talk about you and heard the love and respect in his voice. You, my friend, are a wife, mother and Daughter of the Most High, to be reckoned with.

I wanted you to know that I will be honored to pray for you, Joey, Briley, Braxton, Barron and Bristol (and who ever else might come along :) ) and your new adventure in Cape Town. I wanted to say Thank You for being a woman who doesn't only "talk the talk" but she "walks the walk", as the old saying goes. Thanks for putting your YES on the table and then following through.

I pray that God will bless you and Joey immeasurably for your faithfulness. I know that Cape Town will NEVER be the same once it meets the Lankfords.

To my friends reading this: please take a moment (or many over the next few years) and pray for my friends. Pray for an easy transition for Joey and Court and the kids. Pray that God prepares the hearts of those that they will be in contact with. Pray that there be a mighty harvest in Cape Town and that God will allow them to see the fruit of the labor.


No comments: